The Piaggio P.149, a four-seat, single-engine trainer, liaison and touring plane, was developed by Italian manufacturer Piaggio Aero and is an all-metal construction. The "Piggi", as it was nicknamed by its pilots, first flew on June 16, 1953, and some 270 units of this low-wing plane were built over the next ten years (190 of which were produced under licence by Focke-Wulf in Bremen). This aerobatically capable light utility aircraft was predominantly used by the German Air Force (for an impressive 33 years), but one P.149D was also in service with the Austrian Air Force from 1958 to 1965.
At AIRPOWER16 the FW Piaggio P.149D (D-ELEV) of the Piggiflyers is presented in the static display.
Facts & Figures
|Manufacturer||Piaggio / Focke-Wulf|
|Version||FW Piaggio P.149D|
|Max. take-off weight||1.820 kg|
|Max. speed||305 km/h / 165 kn|
|Service ceiling||6.050 m / 19.849 ft|
|Engine||Lycoming GO 480 B1 A6|
|Crew + passengers||1 + 3|